Wednesday 28 January 2009

About KitKat

I have been asthmatic since I was a baby, but up to being 10 or 11 years old I was very well controlled with just two inhalers. When I started secondary school I was given some tablets to add to my medication regimen. By the time I was 15 I was on the more severe end of the asthma spectrum, frequently having severe attacks and getting very frequent infections. It was during this period I was trying to do my Duke of Edinburgh awards, I had managed my bronze with difficulty, and was struggling with the silver - it was the expedition component that was really really hard work! By the time I reached college I was on steroid tablets more-or-less continually. I did manage to complete my Gold level duke of Edinburgh award with only 1 major attack on day 3 of the 4 day saga!!! After this things did just progressively get worse so that I am now where I am now. I am 26 and have been classed as a brittle asthmatic since I was around 16. I now heavily rely on steroids and nebulisers, inhalers and tablets to get through each day, despite all this I try to lead as normal life as possible and was working full time up until a marothan admission last year which was 11 months out of the year... So now I wait to see if I can keep the job I love!

Despite things at the moment being quite negative, I have met some wonderful friends on the Asthma UK forum since I joined it, they understand me more than some of my close friends from school etc. This is because they understand just how difficult asthma can be sometimes and how restrictive it can be and also understand how it sometimes helps just to chat with someone who truely does understand how and why your feeling the way you feel.

No comments: