Thursday 14 May 2009

Spring Cleaning

Keep telling myself that asthma doesn't get in the way of my normal life. 
Just occasionally it creeps up and says boo! Like today. 

Today, I decided to sort out my overcrowded kitchen worktops. To see just exactly what was taking up the space and could I re-arrange toaster, coffee maker, kettle, 2 microwaves, several pots containing wooden spoons, spurtle, ladle etc, etc. We'd bought ourselves a bread maker - makes very good bread - and needed space for that too.  

Pre bronchitis this year, I would've done the whole thing in couple of hours. To my surprise, this time I ran out of energy pretty well near the start. Had a wee seat and a cuppa.  Did a bit more, thinking where has my energy gone? Another longer seat, looked at emails and had another cuppa. Finished off with a quick tidy up of the surfaces ie put kettle back in usual position and cleaning stuff back in cupboard. Promised myself to do some more tomorrow.  

Its a puzzle cos most days, weeks even, I'm fine. Holiday weekend, I weeded for most of an afternoon with only one break. Get a bit out of breath on a brisk walk to the other end of our main street. Most folk would. But this? This was a bit puzzling. 

Went off to Starbucks for usual coffee and took my book. Just walking up the stairs with the tray had me out of puff again. Sat back and started on my fruit bread. Cough, cough. OK, take a deep breath and try a drink of coffee. Splutter, cough. Hadn't done that for ages! Ventolin ahoy! 
Two puffs and settled back with my book. Fine again, took my fruit bread and coffee.  

         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most times I have an easy life and completely forget (apart from the twice daily inhale) that I have asthma. Like yesterday, when someone came to the door with a survey on local transport. Did I have a car, use public transport, ride a bike, etc. 
"How is your health?"
"Fine" I said happily. 
"OK, so no long term conditions?"
"None. Oh wait a minute, yes!" I stammered "I forgot. I have asthma."

We both laugh as I explain it's a relatively recent diagnosis.  

Living with asthma? It has its funny moments. 



No comments: